FAQ | International Study Award
Career Strategy Fellowships Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE


You are here

TOC: FAQ Topics


Am I eligible for the ISA?

Please refer to the ISA Eligibility page for eligibility requirements.

What is the difference between the ISA and the SEA?

The ISA can fund an eligible summer study experience outside the U.S. for eligible students. This includes Yale Summer Session Abroad, Yale in London, and approved non-Yale study abroad programs. The SEA can fund a non-study, secured, OCS-approved summer opportunity in the U.S. or outside the U.S. which is unpaid or underfunded ($1,500 or less).

When is the best time to use my ISA?

The ISA can be used in the summers following your first, sophomore, and junior years.

CIPE recommends meeting with a Study Abroad advisor (for an activity eligible for the ISA) or Office of Career Strategy advisor (for activities covered by the SEA) early in your academic career if you are interested in participating in more than one summer experience abroad. While advisors can’t tell you what to do, they can help you navigate the decision-making process.

Since each student can only use an ISA once, if you plan to do more than one study program abroad, you may want to optimize your use of the ISA so that it will provide you with as much funding as possible. For example, if you are thinking of participating in a YSS Abroad program after your sophomore year and then a different YSS Abroad program following your junior year, it would be wise to review previous years’ budgets to get a sense of what your level of ISA funding would be for each experience. You could then determine which course you would pay more for out of pocket. The SEA can be used to help fund a professional activity, such as an internship, abroad.

Note: Students may use their ISA for summer AND still study abroad during term-time using financial aid. 

Is the award competitive?

The ISA is not competitive. If you meet the eligibility requirements and complete all program application components on time, including completing the ISA pre-departure form, you will receive funding proportional to your aid percentage up to the ISA cap amount.

I've already graduated or am a senior who will graduate before the summer I wish to use my ISA. Am I eligible?

Students who have already graduated and students with senior class standing are not eligible for an ISA. We recommend checking out postgraduate fellowship opportunities.

For Summer 2022 ONLY, students with senior class standing who will graduate in December 2022 may apply for ISA funding provided they meet all other eligibility requirements. 


How much funding will I receive?

Funding is calculated by multiplying your aid percentage as a decimal by CIPE’s program budget. For example, if you receive 50% aid and your program budget is $10,000.00, your stipend would be calculated as .50 x $10,000 = $5,000. You can find out how to calculate your ISA here

Please note that the ISA is capped at $14,935 for the 2021 application cycle. This means that no student, even a student on 100% aid, will receive more than the cap even if their program exceeds this amount.

My budget seems too low. Can I get more funding?

While budgets are firm, students may petition for adjustments to their program budget. 

If you believe your situation presents an extreme outlier or extenuating circumstance, please review the information found on the Funding page and follow the directions there to petition for additional funds.

I’m participating in a Yale Summer Session (YSS) Program Abroad with a New Haven start. Will the New Haven costs be deducted from my ISA?

No. Fees associated with New Haven on-campus housing and meal plans will be completely waived for all students using any level of ISA funding toward the relevant YSS Program Abroad. Students participating in a YSS Program Abroad with a New Haven start who want to use the waiver should opt into New Haven on-campus housing when completing the pre-departure materials in their MyCIPE account, which appear after admission. Financial Aid will work with CIPE to ensure the free on-campus housing and meal plan will be applied for the ISA recipients who opt into New Haven on-campus housing. Note that ISA recipients who opt to live off-campus will not receive ISA funding toward New Haven costs and will pay for all associated New Haven housing and meal costs out-of-pocket.

New Haven costs which are not included in the ISA program budgets are available here. These figures can be used to estimate your ISA. Students wishing to approximate ISA funding levels before budgets for the upcoming summer are available should find the relevant YSS Abroad program page here, open the budget, subtract the “New Haven Housing – Room & Board” cost from the total (billed & estimated unbilled expenses), and multiply by their aid percentage.

Point: (YSS budget – New Haven Room & Board) x aid percentage = ISA

For more information, please see Calculate Your ISA.

What does the ISA cover?

Generally speaking, ISA stipend budgets cover costs directly related to the completion of a program. The ISA is not intended to cover optional charges like non-required field trips, specialty clothing or footwear, or personal items like notebooks. Please see the About Budgets page for a breakdown of covered and un-covered expenses.

Are there expenses not covered by the ISA that I should plan to pay out of pocket?

The ISA is intended to cover a percentage of the program's set budget. It will not cover all expenses of a student's experience abroad, and even after careful planning and budgeting, please be aware that unexpected costs may arise. All students – even students with 100% need – will most likely need to contribute their own money towards program and related expenses.

For more information, please review the Out-of-Pocket Costs page.

What do I do about expenses due before my funds are disbursed?

Program application fees are the responsibility of the student and are not included in ISA budgets.

In some cases, students may be asked by their program to pay in part (a deposit) or in full for tuition or housing before their ISA stipend has been disbursed. While CIPE and Financial Aid cannot release any ISA funds early, students may be able to request a letter from Financial Aid to their program explaining the nature and estimated amount of their ISA funding as assurance to the program that costs will be covered.

To request a letter be written on your behalf, please contact Financial Aid with the following information:

  • Full legal name
  • SID
  • Admission letter to program
  • Contact information of someone in admissions, registrar, or finance office of program

While Yale is unable to offer any guarantees that an outside institution will accept this type of letter and allow for a deferred payment arrangement, many institutions and programs have made arrangements like this with students once they are aware of the circumstances.

Students participating in Yale Summer Session Abroad and Yale in London do not need to request these letters, as both their program and funding source are internal to Yale.

The ISA is unable to advance students the cost of airfare, including the cost of a deposit toward a flight booked through STA Travel's deposit program. This program allows students to book a flight early by paying a deposit toward the total cost of the flight, with the balance due 7 days before departure. Students are solely responsible for their travel plans. 

The ISA Request Process

When should I request an ISA if I’m not sure which program I’ll attend?

Request your ISA once you are committed to a program using the pre-departure ISA form. If your plans change, contact isa@yale.edu right away.

Can I apply for an ISA and a SEA in the same year?

Yes, provided you meet the eligibility requirements. Please review ISA requirements here. Please review SEA requirements here. 

I applied for the ISA, but now I plan to pursue an activity which falls under SEA instead. What should I do?

If you change your plans from an international summer study activity to a non-study summer experience, let us know you no longer intend to use your ISA by emailing isa@yale.edu. You should instead apply for the SEA which funds a secured, approved, unpaid or underfunded ($1,500 or less) summer opportunity with one of the following: 501(c)(3) nonprofit including non-profit Universities; government entity including public universities; non-governmental organization (NGO); arts apprenticeship; or science, laboratory, or other research opportunity.

What applications/forms do I need to complete besides the ISA pre-departure form?

Please review the information found on the What is eligible? page for application information specific to each type of experience.

Is my ISA request complete?

Due to the high number of requests received, CIPE is unable to individually confirm students’ submission status. To check whether you have already completed your ISA request, please see the information on the ISA request page. You must request to use your ISA on the pre-departure form of the eligible summer study program by 11:59pm on May 1.

Receiving the ISA

How do I get my ISA funds?

ISA funds are deposited directly into students’ bursar accounts. ISA funding will automatically be credited against any outstanding charges in your student bursar account, including but not limited to fees and tuition for your summer program. You can withdraw any excess funds via direct deposit refund request.

How do I know when my ISA has been disbursed?

The Financial Aid office will send an email to students letting them know when their funds have been deposited to their bursar or bank account.

I haven't received my funds yet.

For Summer 2021 ISAs, we expect that funds will be disbursed in early June. Unfortunately, CIPE is unable to track payments for individual students. Please contact Financial Aid directly for updates.